Cooperative Research and Development Agreements (CRADA)
Contact us at:
An agreement between NNSS and one or more non-federal parties to mutually provide personnel, services, facilities, equipment, intellectual property, or other resources with or without reimbursement (but not funds to non-federal parties) for conducting specified research or development efforts consistent with the NNSS’ mission.
- The agreement allows collaboration that may include NNSS technologies, processes, materials, research and development capabilities, or technical know-how.
- The participant benefits from access to NNSS’ unique technologies, capabilities, and expertise; the option to negotiate an exclusive license in a field of use within the scope of work of the CRADA to inventions that result from work performed under the CRADA (subject inventions); and protection, for up to five years, of information generated under the CRADA and marked by the partner as protected. Partners’ proprietary information developed outside of the CRADA and brought into the collaboration is treated with confidentiality without time restriction. To offset costs of the collaboration, CRADA participants must contribute cash or in-kind resources such as personnel, equipment, facilities, etc. NNSS requires full cost recovery, therefore a funding source for the laboratory work must be identified before work can start.
- The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) requires either 1) advance payment of the entire amount or 2) a pay plan that requires the first payment to include a 60-day minimum reserve and in some instances, funding for the first 30 days of work. DOE has developed a model CRADA that establishes uniform terms and conditions for doing business with the laboratories.
- Shared or paid by partner
- Typical Uses
- To develop a new product
- To conduct scientific research
- Note: New intellectual property developed during a CRADA is subject to U.S. manufacturing requirements.
- Pool resources and knowledge
- NNSS and private entity can own their own inventions developed under the CRADA
Return to Work With Us homepage.